Skip to main content

Successful VBAC Birth: Shorter Version

I had my last appointment with the residents on Friday, July 31st in which they scheduled c-section at 41 weeks (August 5th, 2009). I naturally panicked and tried a lot of natural induction techniques that day. Something worked... Pressure waves (contractions) started at 1 am Saturday. They were pretty intense but spaced apart every 10 minutes. My doula Becky, arrived at 7:30 am. I had my headphones on listening to my hypnobabies tracks while I sat on a birthing ball and leaned against the bed.

We had some breakfast... eggs and toast. Then my husband went to take a nap...lucky him. Becky and I started a walk around the block at 2pm to try to get things moving. The pressure waves were still spaced 10 min apart and within minutes of starting our walk, the pressure waves were coming every 3-4 minutes. I had to lean on her or the fence. We walked around the block about 5 times. I asked her how far along I might be and she sid she believed I was still in early labor. When I heard that, I thought to myself, "What?!!!" How can I still be in early labor when everything felt sooo intense? How was active labor going to feel?!!!

When we got back home I managed to heat up some veggie burgers. I went upstairs and the pressure waves were still every 3-4 minutes, however they were really intense. After an hour or so, I went in the hot shower and lost my mucus plug almost immediately. I called Becky over and she had a surprised look on her face and said something like, "Wow, that hot water seemed to get things started." Again I thought to myself, "What?!!" Could I barely be entering Active Labor?"
I reached down again and something told me to self examine myself... I did and felt her head! I told Becky and she decided to check me as well. She turned to me and said,"We have to go now!" I freaked out and lost complete focus. There was no way I could make it to my hospital that was 30 min away. We had to go to the VBACbanned hospital a few minutes away.

Whole ride there I was involunterily pushing and then holding her in. We finally got there and they were ready for me. I started pushing and it felt good to push. On the fourth push, I let out a primal scream that my husband still imitates and reenacts, and my daughter Olivia Grace was born. We arrived there at 5:00pm and I had her at 5:30. She weighed 8lbs 3oz, much larger than my first two.

The greatest experience ever. I still can't believe it happened. Well I can... I prepared so much and was completely confident. I think that was key. If only I started that walk earlier on. 16 hours total from the time the first pressure wave started. But maybe that was only early labor the first couple of hours. The walk is what got things started. From the time of my walk to the time she was born was 3.5 hours.

Couldn't have done it without the help of my doula, hypnobabies, ICAN and my family. Thanks to you all!

Mariana
Mommy to Benjamin (9-11-04)c-section, Amelia (2-23-06) c-section, and Olivia (8-1-09) VBA2C

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Little Pretend Passports

Some deals are too good not to share... especially with those of you who have kids between the ages of 5-10. Every week, we spend some time reading a book in one of the FIAR volumes. Whether it's a US state or a different country, we use our pretend passports every week. We even use it along with Little Passports . They do have their own passport, which includes a new sticker stamp for the country of th at months shipment. However, Little Passports comes with only one passport and I have three kids that want their own passport. So I decided to make our own passports to use along with FIAR and Little Passports . For each country or state we "visit" in our FIAR studies, we stamp our passport. We glue down a flag of the country or state and a passport stamp with the date we traveled to that country. I highly recommend purchasing card stock for the cover Wausau Paper Index Card Stock Unfortunately my 2 year old got a hold of them and wrote all over them... so I w

Easy Push Pin Styrofoam Ball Ornament

We recently went to a friends school gathering where they had all of us decorate ornaments using sequin pins, sequins, ribbons, pipe cleaners and pom poms. We arrived a bit late and the only supplies left on my table were the sequins and push pins. So I got to work and came up with the following. Fairly simple to make. I imagine hot gluing the sequins on would be quicker. You can come up with different layouts and color combinations. I wanted to create a blue and silver combination, but there weren't enough colors, so I decided to just do a multi color one. We only had an hour to make the ornaments and the school was going to use our ornaments to decorate a tree at our local zoo. So I was short on time and took some photos of a few different combos I came up with. I will definitely be buying some styrofoam balls today! The rougher textured styrofoam balls almost have a blingy look to them which work well if you want to create a design on the ball and have some negati

Limbourg Brothers Book of Days Art Project

The kids and I try to include at least one art lesson a week. Some of our lessons require more than one day to complete. We plan on going to the Art Institute soon and my husband and I want the kids to be familiar with some of the paintings we might see. So we've been using the book Discovering Great Artists: Hands-On Art for Children in the Styles of the Great Masters . So far we love it, and it has so many hands-on activities to explore the styles and techniques of the world's greatest artists. They also break up the sections by style/date. This week, we learned about Early Renaissance painters, The Limbourg Brothers. If you're not familiar with the Limbourg Brothers, they are three artist brothers who painted very detailed paintings using thin paintbrushes and magnifying glasses. They created a book with a calendar and pictures of the seasons. The art activity we followed asked to create our own Book of Days. I created a template and had the kids pick a favo